“My son, do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments, for length of days and years of life and peace they will add to you.” (Proverbs 3:1-2)
Manhattan is a wonderful and challenging place to raise kids. Christ Church NYC is a strong community, where kids can have fun and learn, and where there are ways for a whole family to serve and grow. Our church family sees that we have a great responsibility to support families in the hard task of bringing up children in “the nurture and training of the Lord”. We invite families to catch our vision to grow together as a fellowship that includes kids and adults of all ages!
The children’s ministry exists as part of the broader gospel-centered ministry of Christ Church NYC.
- We are committed to preparing children to gather with the whole church and welcoming them into our midst.
- We are committed to preaching the gospel for the salvation of everyone who will turn from their sin and put their trust in Christ alone.
- We are committed to providing gospel-centered discipleship and nurture, with the prayer that our covenant children will continually grow in their relationship with Christ.
- We are committed to coming alongside parents to serve and provide them with the resources and partnership they need to raise their children in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.
- We are committed to providing a safe, Christ-centered, loving environment where children feel comfortable learning, and where parents feel secure entrusting us with their kids during the church service and other special events.
- As we minister to the children that God has placed under our care, we seek to guide them to an understanding of the glory and majesty of God as seen in his perfect character and as revealed in his Son, Jesus Christ. Recognizing that God has given parents the primary responsibility for the spiritual instruction and discipline of children, we intend to partner with families in the process of teaching and training children in the prayerful hope that through the Spirit they will grow to trust, love, and worship Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
On Sundays, there is a Nursery for children ages 0-2 and Sunday School classes for children ages 3 through 4th grade. Parents can check their children into the Nursery prior to the start of the worship service and then pick them up immediately following the service. Children will only be released to their parents.
Children ages 3 through 4th grade begin worship with their families and then after the first portion of the service are led to their class by their teachers. In this way, they begin to become familiar with the liturgy and your family has an opportunity to worship together. Then there is appropriate teaching from the Bible for adults upstairs in the main sanctuary, and learning and laughter for little ones downstairs. For first time families to Christ Church, you will need to accompany your children to their class in order to register them.
Occasional special events for families with young children are offered, and children will sometimes sing or take part in the morning service in seasonal events.
All of our volunteers, whether parents themselves or not, are trained and encouraged to communicate God’s love to children. They undergo background checks, and adhere to our church policies on child safety.
Rhythm of Worship for Parents
While we have nursery and children’s ministries available during the service, we think it is extremely valuable for you to begin teaching and showing your children the importance of worshiping with the rest of the church, as well as learning to hear God’s Word through preaching. Consider having them sit with you once or twice a month. You can download a copy of Parents’ Worship Guide here. Another resource that you might find helpful is this short article by John and Noël Piper, The Family Together in God’s Presence.